Built in an Indo-Saracen style with domes, turrets, arches and colonnades, the palace is a treasure house of exquisite carvings and works of art from all over the world. The palace was reduced to ashes in 1811 and the present one, designed by English architect Henry Irwin, was completed in 1912 at a cost of Rs. 4.2 million. The interior of the palace is a kaleidoscope of stained glass, mirrors and bright colours. Some of it is undoubtedly over the top but its awe-inspiring carved wooden doors, mosaic floors and a series of historically interesting paintings depict life in Mysore during the Edwardian Raj. The majestic Durbar Hall with its ornate ceiling and sculpted pillars, and the Marriage Pavilion with its chandeliers, cast-iron pillars and Belgian stained glass arranged in peacock designs on the domed ceilings, all portray South Indian art at its best.